In only a bit more than a week, Friday the 8th of March, it will be International Women’s day again. This day arose back in the twentieth century when women fought for equal rights in the fields of labour and suffrage, and has since then become an annual celebration. Although a lot has changed – in a positive manner – since the first held International Women’s day, we aren’t just there yet.
Other than the usual celebration on the 8th of March, here are some reasons why it is even better to join the Women’s March on Amsterdam on the 9th of March!
Continue reading “Marching into a New Year”
The few months of spring leading up to summer and the summer months themselves are known as Festival Season in The Netherlands and our bordering countries. Also during this time, this wonderful country has many national holidays and days free from university (jeej!) for us to party!
Here’s a lineup of some cheap, fun festivals near or in Rotterdam for you to check out.
Kingsnight – 26 April 2018
This is the evening before the King’s birthday and so many parties already start then.
- TIKTAK Kingsnight in Maasilo, Rotterdam €29,98
- La Rêve – A Night of Kings in Q-factory, Amsterdam €16,39
Kingsday – 27 April 2018
One of the biggest party days of the year as it is a national holiday, celebrating King Willem Alexander’s birthday.
- Oranjebitter at Euromast Park, Rotterdam €34,30
- Kroon Festival at Willemsplein, Rotterdam €16,25
- Dancetour at Spuiboulevard, Dordrecht FREE
Liberation Day – 5 May 2018
The fifth of May is also a day for celebration as the whole of the Netherlands was liberated by the French and the British in the Second World War.
- Bevrijdingsfestival in Euromast Park, Rotterdam FREE
- Thuishaven 5 Years in Thuishaven, Amsterdam €15
- Expedition Festival in Vroesenpark, Rotterdam €22
7th of July (13:00-23:00)
- Triangle x Woest & Wild Festival in Roel Langerakpark, Rotterdam €29.50
21st of July (12:00-23:00)
- Crazy Sexy Cool Festival in Zuiderpark, Rotterdam €25
4th of August 2018 (12:00-23:00)
So make the most of your days off by going to one of these fun events. Fingers crossed that the weather will be okay!